Helen of Troy - Margaret George Why was her childhood abduction by Theseus completely left out? Every other little inconsequential thing in her life is talked about in exhaustive detail.

What really gets me about this is a version of Menelaus that you almost never get. The author gave his relationship with Helen a depth that, to me, is far more interesting to hear about than Helen and Paris. The famously beautiful Helen is simply a woman in a marriage that didn't turn out as great as she thought it would, despite hope for the best on both sides. Helen wants to feel passion for the husband that she sees only as a faithful friend and companion and Menelaus is a humble good man whose cherished wife can barely muster warm affection for him, so he turns to another woman despite the love he still holds for Helen.

When Helen reveals that she knows of the affair he begs forgiveness, but she doesn't feel she can give it because she has also been unfaithful. "I loved Paris, was mad for him, although we had barely touched. Menelaus had lain down with this woman, but his loyalty was uncompromised. Who was the greater adulterer?" After this confrontation Menelaus leaves Sparta for a funeral and Helen runs away with Paris.

Paris and Helen aren't the fated lovers she imagines them to be. Paris is 16 to her 25, and is bold and seems mature for his age. Helen at first makes nothing of his flaws of character which steadily become more obvious as the story (very) slowly wears on.

So far this book has kept me interested, but it would be much easier if there weren't so many unnecessary parts to it. I really don't care to read about long long path to the turtle pen hidden deep in the forest and every twist and turn it takes to get there.