The Hunger - Whitley Strieber Before reading this, I never imagined it was possible to hate every single important speaking character in a story, but here we are at The Hunger. I hated weird Miriam and the way she keeps her lovers alive, folded knees to chest in boxes, traveling the world for centuries with a woman who won't let them out or let them die. I hated stupid Sarah, and her stupid psycho idea that death was a curable disease, not a natural part of life. And I really hated Sarah's manipulative boyfriend who inwardly celebrated Sarah's apparent failure at the beginning of the story.

These three people creeped me out to no end, and I couldn't figure out what it was the author wanted us to feel, exactly. I didn't get a real impression of what kind of people he wanted his characters to be, besides nasty. Tom loves being bigger and taller than Sarah, he loves her being subordinate to him, and having control over her body, and says he loves her as an act of aggression instead of a showing of genuine affection. Sarah is all over the place. She's Tom's little girlfriend, all sweet and caring but then carelessly calls him names and inwardly has no positive feelings at all toward him, doesn't trust him, and almost never says she loves him back.

Miriam's personality is all types of otherworldly weirdness I don't have the patience to get into. On the other hand, Miriam was the only character who was well-formed. The humans were too many things all at once and not very memorable other than the fact that I hated them.

The best part of the book, in my opinion, was the reimagining of vampires as a completely separate species, not descended from humans, but able to give humans vampire characteristics for a time.