The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight - Jennifer E. Smith Why did this get so many mediocre reviews? I know that it isn't epic, that it doesn't contain vampires or demons or soul crushing dystopia, but The Statistical Improbability of Love at First Sight feels like a little gift. This is one of those stories that's perfect in its smallness, in its mundanities and ordinary circumstances. Everything about it felt familiar and sweet, and I'm grateful for the uncomplicated style it was written in and a female protagonist without a terrible image of herself who needs a boy to tell her how different she is from every other self-hating sad sack in the world. If I had to slog through one more overly dramatic book about girls with extremely low self-esteem and their perfect hero boyfriends I was about to quit contemporary novels forever. The statistical improbability of getting to read something new that is refreshing, simple, and honest has been narrowing down to about 12%, but because of this book I'll be looking out for more from this author, and any like her, and staying hopeful about finding more pleasant surprises like this that feel true to life.