You Deserve Nothing: A Novel - Alexander Maksik The most moving parts of this novel were when the author was quoting other people's words, and teaching other people's concepts. Maksik's prose is plain in a way that isn't dramatic in its starkness, it's just a bare recounting that tries to be poignant but ends up feeling emotionless. It's a good story, but ultimately, a forgettable book.
After reading this, and then the Jezebel article, I'm thoroughly creeped out at the way the author wrote in the girl's voice. Yes, teachers are humans who make mistakes and yes, an artist can and should use their personal experience to create art, but I keep feeling there is something crazy sketchy about how he tried to come off as a blameless wounded nice guy who didn't know why he did anything and had nothing messy to say in his personal life, while everyone else is always reaching and wanting and pouring out their weaknesses around him.
Will felt like a character that the author wanted us to feel had ragged edges, but was polished too smoothly for anyone to actually relate to. He was too distanced from everything in the story, despite being the center of it. Every other character has messy imperfect lives and supposedly worships this guy and the most you can say about Will is he eats bread and sits alone and thinks about other people's thoughts a lot.